“Why is my led remote not working?” – We had to ask this question several times, and luckily we found the way out! So, this article summarises the seven most popular reasons why the led strip operator does not seem to work. And in case you are finding a suitable solution for your case, you are in the right sight! Scroll down and do not miss any of the below information!
Reasons why LED light strip remote not working?
First, you need to know that the battery is not the only reason the strip remote is not working. Instead, there are a lot of causes, including old accessories, initial settings like programming errors or pairing issues of the product itself, to external factors like physical damage, and more.
So, to know how to solve this familiar problem, we suggest that you should check for the seven led strips remote dimmer’s issues bellow:
Find out more: Why aren’t my led strip lights working
Among ton of possibilies, reasons out there, power seems to be the most prevalent cause of the inactive status of the led strip remote. Even when left over for too long, the electrons from the battery can flow out and ultimately out of energy.
It is simple to identify the situation. Just check the indicator light on remotes of your lighting devices say led strip lights or whatever it is when you press the button. If it does not light up, it means the power is not enough and we should replace the batteries.
The pairing issue is an uncommon error but can happen sometimes. When your led light remote control is working fine, but the LED light dimmer does not show any response, it is a sign of pairing issues or loose connection within accessories of led strip lights themselves.
The pairing system of most LED light or LED strip lights ones are some kind of unstable. As a result, it will unpair itself from the receiver whenever it runs out of batteries or loose connection.
The situation is dimmer remotes work with LED strip lights, but the color is different from what you want or what it should be. We call it a “programming problem”. Keep reading and follow our guide for easiest, most practical ways to get things done smoothly.
Have you ever thought of obstruction when your strips lighting system stops working? Pay attention to simple items like a glass wall, curtains, and speakers acting as interference between the controller and led strip lights causing the controller not working or malfunction.
The remote control materials of strips are straightforward to damage, and that will cause it faulty, work incorrectly or damgages to batteries. So, it could be a really common knowledge that the led light operator could be broken if it just falls from high or gets wet.
The very basic principle of every lighting remote control is to use infrared light to deliver signals to the device to finish the action. However, the problem is infrared light sources are available everywhere: in sunlight, fluorescent bulbs, or even our body.
So, the environment may affect infrared sensors (Rarely, We supposed) and make the led light remote malfunctioning.
In the past, we often tried keeping remotes closer to the led strips or any lighting source when it does not seem to work out. However, this action turns out to be a fundamental mistake many people make. As remotes only works within a suitable range, staying too far or close to strips are problems.
If the distance is too far, the infrared signer can not reach the sensor, so it can not work. If the distance is too close, the sensor is overloaded and LED strip lights flicker.
Well, above we have list some possible reasons leading to a defective led strip remote, let’s find out some popular solution for the problem and make it work perfectly again.
It is super simple to solve LED strip remote dimmer by refilling it with fresh power:
- Find the suitable type of batteries.
- Remove the old ones.
- Insert the new ones.
Then, you can start controlling the led strips with full power at that moment.
By experience, we find out that by deeply cleaning the remote, we can dramatically improve LED strip lights connectivity. Besides, it is not very difficult to finish this task, just grab a small screwdriver and follow the instruction below:
- Step 1: Discharge power by removing batteries
- Step 2: Remove the keyboard using a screwdriver to remove the screws on the remote. There are three notes for you:
- Put the screws in a bowl to ensure we don’t lose any of them.
- Take a photo before tearing things out will help you remember the details and avoid confusion when reinstalling.
- We recommend that you should start from the bottom corners.
- Step 3: Clean the controllers
- Use a dry cloth, tissue or any dry and soft material to tidy the main.
- Soak the rubber button (only rubber) in warm water to clean it easier, and let it dry before matching it with other parts.
- Step 4: Reinstall
- Alight the keypad perfectly with the circuit board.
- Make sure everything is lined up, top of power and gently reapply them all.
- Reinstall all the screws – it is when your photos work
Remove Interferences and obstruction
Ensure the infrared receiver of the remote control sensor is not covered or separated by plants, furniture, curtains, wall, glass, or any interference. Besides, ensure your speaker and electric systems do not block the IR sensor. That’s how we help our LED strip remotes working better.
Programming the LED strip lights is so convenient that it can save you money and time and avoid trouble. So, if you wonder what to do if your led light strip remote malfunction, let’s try the programming guide bellows:
- Step 1: Understand your device clearly
- Make sure that you know every button on the remote of the strip so that you won’t make any mistakes when programmingMake sure that there is no corrosion or physical damage on your controllers
- The batteries have enough power to operate the device
- Step 2: Set the program mode
- Keep holding the “program” button on the back of the led light remote.
- Once you see a LED light on the front, release
- Step 3: Check your manual book of the strip to locate the code list correctly (ready the code list before starting programming)
- Step 4: Choose the correct code for your led strips and enter it into the remote (find the instruction in the manual)
- Step 5: Test the code by checking whether the led strips work as you want. If not, try another code.
Check and clean the infrared sensor
The dusty infrared sensor is also a primary cause the led strip, led light remote not working. So, follow the steps below to make it clean:
- Turn off LED lights and remove remaining power by removing battery to avoid any damage from electricity
- Locate the infrared sensor of the Remote (In regular, small black lens located on the front or top of the light)
- Use a dry cloth to wipe out all the dust, dirt, and debris on the sensor (No wet or liquid cleaner, which may cause the remote to break)
- Point the remote to the LED lights/strip and press any button on the remote (change color, change mode,…) to see if it responds or not
We should try resetting our controllers when it stops working or show the wrong color, displaying unwanted color mode. But how to reset your led lights remote? Let’s check out the two most seen reset methods of the recent led-lit strip ones!
Hard reset is using a hard key to addressing problems. If we replace the batteries, but the remotes still does not respond, we often do a hard reset.
- Step 1: Find the reset button
- The reset button is often hidden away in a tiny hole on the side or back of the controller.
- Step 2: Press the reset button
- Use a paperclip or similar small object to press and hold it for at least 3 seconds
- Step 3: Test and reprogram the controllers, follow manufacturer instruction
A normal reset is the latest solution for the issue you are facing with. And, it is much easier than you though.
- Step 1: Find the factory reset button (on the back or side, with a tiny hole next to it)
- Step 2: Use a sharp object like a paperclip to press a button and hold for five seconds ( the controllers’ LED lights will flash)
- Step 3: Reprogramming by following the manual book
Hopefully this article will help on a way to find the most suitable solution according to your own case. As you can see, once we can identify the true lightning issues, we can correct it easily.
Thanks for your reading and don’t hesitate to leave comments if you have any questions. Emberlight is here to support!